If you are like me, you love fresh homemade pizza dough! Sure, you can go to a variety of places to buy “fresh” dough but there is nothing like fresh homemade pizza dough, additionally one you make yourself from prep to table in under 15 minutes on the grill! Not only does it take less than 15 minutes the recipe calls for minimal ingredients that makes it so simple that your kids can do this for a pizza party, playdate or even your next back yard BBQ! Furthermore, you can substitute some ingredients as you wish to make the dough gluten free or try a wheat pizza, it doesn’t get any better than that. Fresh homemade grilled pizza. Yum!
-2 ½ cup flower
-1.5 TBS olive oil
-1 TBS sugar
-1 TBS yeast
-1/2 tsp salt
-1 Cup of warm water (Yeast proofing)
This will yield one large pizza or can be broken in half or quarters to make mini pizzas.
- Preheat the grill at its max temperature.
- Add the warm water (95-105 degrees) into a mixing bowl and add the yeast and sugar stirring gently.
- Wait 5-10 minutes until the mixture becomes bubbly (slightly frothy like a cappuccino).
- Add the olive to the mixture and again gently stir.
- Slowly start to fold in the flour and salt using a wooden spoon until a ball is formed. It should be a little sticky at this point. Keep adding flour slowly until the ball becomes a little firmer and less sticky (you should have ¼ to ½ cup of flour left over.
- Place the dough on a clean dry surface lightly dusted with flour and knead into a flat smooth dough while adding more flour if needed to prevent sticking to your hands or the surface.
Time to cook.
- Gather all your toppings and sauce.
- This is the tricky part, using a brush, lightly coat the top of the dough with olive oil (this will be the bottom)
- Place the pizza directly on the grill with the olive oil side down and watch very closely, this will only take 1-3 minutes.
- While this is cooking lightly coat the uncooked side with olive oil.
- Once the dough starts to turn light brown underneath, flip the crust using a grill flipper.
- Immediately add your sauce and topping quickly to the cooked side and close the lid.
- Cook for another 2-4 minutes and watch closely, if bubbles start to form you can use a fork to poke them to release the air.
- Once cooked, let cool for 5 minutes and cut with a pizza cutter.
There is nothing like a fresh gilled pizza made with homemade dough! For a little extra pizazz try adding different topping to create your own signature homemade grilled pizza. Your next BBQ you will be the talk of the town! Please leave a comment if you try this and how it went! Enjoy!